Skip to main content

The Secret Is Out: Sylvia Plath's Hidden Poems

Well...so while I was away on holiday, news broke by Danuta Kean of the Guardian in her article "Unseen Sylvia Plath Poems Deciphered in Carbon Paper" and the report seems to have swept through social media. The story discusses something Gail and I wrote about in our recently published book These Ghostly Archives: The Unearthing of Sylvia Plath.

While we discuss the finding of two lost Sylvia Plath poems ("Megrims" and "To A Refractory Santa Claus") in the book, some of the "information" in the articles that followed Danuta's was so misleading that it warrants some comment here.

First of all: the book, on Sylvia Plath and not just The Bell Jar, is already out and can be purchased through Amazon.co.uk and Book Depository (free international shipping). It will officially be published in the United States in October but do not let this deter you from buying it now.

Second of all: the poems are not published in the book, though they are discussed. I do not think they necessarily lend a lot of information into Plath's relationship with Ted Hughes, but that is for each of us to decide.

Third of all: These Ghostly Archives has nothing to do with Kirsten Dunst and Dakota Fanning's adaptation of Plath's The Bell Jar. This is partly the fault of the publisher, Fonthill, as they decided to market our book with a bullet point about the film and this has lead some in the media to confuse the two very separate and unrelated projects. There was an attempt made to have the information about Dunst and Fanning removed from their press release but the request was ignored. As well, I explicitly asked them not to reproduce the photograph of me with the actresses, but this was also ignored.  This level of disrespect of alarming.

Here is some official information and I apologize if this is boring or unnecessary. It just seems kind of warranted.

I first saw the carbon on a research visit to the Lilly Library in January 2010 when I was at the Lilly Library on a Helm Fellowship working on another project (Sylvia Plath's library). I made a mental note of it.

At the end of my first day of research on a subsequent visit on 16 March 2015, I decided to revisit it and it was then that its contents and significance dawned on me. In the interim between 2010 and 2015, I accumulated a wealth of resources and information which included having transcribed all her pocket calendars. The confluence of that work and looking again at the carbon made the discovery possible. In a blog post about the research visit, I spilled the beans saying "I made an exciting discovery" but did not want to, at the time, be too forthcoming.

Zach Downey and Jody Mitchell at the Lilly Library supplied digital images of the carbon for me on 17 March 2015. Upon request, they sent more the following year on 15 February 2016. It was at that time that I finally started working on the carbon in Photoshop and I was astounded at what could be done with the program; what could be revealed and what, also, proved still more elusive and ghostly. I remain confident that someone and someday that more will be deciphered.

Some of the process or methodology, possibly the most important part other than the actual texts of the poems, is discussed in the book so I will not reiterate that here. But it was an eye-straining, painstaking process: at times frustrating and frequently enlightening.

It was really difficult to keep this find from you but it seemed to be an essential micro-story in the larger tales of our archival experiences that Gail and I discuss in the book. At this time, I am sure you all understand, it is not possible to print the poems or really to discuss their contents but am hopeful that one day they will be made available with as much of them provided as is possible.

Here are some the articles that I found that were published on it (a Google search for "To A Refractory Santa Claus" yield about 743 results!). However it must be stated that as of 1 June, only The Guardian and the BBC have actually reached out to Gail and me for interviews so anything else is a derivative and very often misrepresents something.

Chopin, Allison. "Unknown Sylvia Plath poems, lost play by Edith Wharton discovered by scholars." New York Daily News. May 27, 2017.

Donovan, Louise. "Two Unseen Sylvia Plath Poems Have Been Found And We're Very Excited." Elle UK. May 26, 2017.

Ferro, Shaunacy. "New Poetry by Sylvia Plath Discovered in Her Archives." Mental Floss. May 26, 2017.

Kean, Danuta. "Unseen Sylvia Plath Poems Deciphered in Carbon Paper." The Guardian. May 25, 2017.

Oulton, Emma. "Never-Before-Seen Sylvia Plath Poems Have Been Discovered In The Back Of A Notebook." Bustle. May 25, 2017.

Palit, Maya. "Two Unseen Poems of Sylvia Plath have Surfaced and We Just Can't Wait to Read Them." Lady Fingers. May 25, 2017.

Shanahan, Molly. "Two Secret Sylvia Plath Poems Have Been Discovered." Debrief. May 25, 2017.

Sylvia Plath's unpublished poems discovered. Times of India. May 26, 2017.

All links accessed. 29-31 May 2017.

P.S. On my holiday to New Zealand and Sydney, Australia, I took my copy of These Ghostly Archives with me and photographed it in various locations.

Atop Rangitoto Island, looking toward Auckland

On the Devil's Staircase, Tongariro Alpine Crossing, New Zealand

At the Te Puia geyser, Rotorua, New Zealand

At the Sydney Opera House, Australia
And, lastly, editing the Letters of Sylvia Plath by the water...which I think is something of which Plath would approve!

On Bondi Beach, Sydney, Australia

Lake Taupo, New Zealand

Popular posts from this blog

Sylvia Plath's Gravestone Vandalized

The following news story appeared online this morning: HEPTONSTALL, ENGLAND (APFS) - The small village of Heptonstall is once again in the news because of the grave site of American poet Sylvia Plath. The headstone controversy rose to a fever pitch in 1989 when Plath's grave was left unmarked for a long period of time after vandals repeatedly chiseled her married surname Hughes off the stone marker. Author Nick Hornby commented, "I like Plath, but the controversy reaching its fever pitch in the 80s had nothing to do with my book title choice." Today, however, it was discovered that the grave was defaced but in quite an unlikely fashion. This time, Plath's headstone has had slashed-off her maiden name "Plath," so the stone now reads "Sylvia Hughes." A statement posted on Twitter from @masculinistsfortedhughes (Masculinists for Ted Hughes) has claimed responsibility saying that, "We did this because as Ted Hughes' first wife, Sylvia de

Famous Quotes of Sylvia Plath

Sylvia Plath inspires us all in various and wonderful ways. She is in many respects a form of comfort to us, which is something that Esther Greenwood expresses in The Bell Jar , about a bath: "There must be quite a few things a hot bath won't cure, but I don't know many of them. Whenever I'm sad I'm going to die, or so nervous I can't sleep, or in love with somebody I won't be seeing for a week, I slump down just so far and then I say: 'I'll go take a hot bath.'" We read and remember Sylvia Plath for many reasons, many of them deeply personal and private. But we commemorate her, too, in very public ways, as Anna of the long-standing Tumblr Loving Sylvia Plath , has been tracking, in the form of tattoos. (Anna's on Instagram with it too, as SylviaPlathInk .) The above bath quote is among Sylvia Plath's most famous. It often appears here and there and it is stripped of its context. But I think most people will know it is from her nove

Sylvia Plath and McLean Hospital

In August when I was in the final preparations for the tour of Sylvia Plath The Bell Jar sites, I found that I had long been mistaken about a couple of things. This is my coming clean. It was my intention in this blog post to discuss just McLean, but I found myself deeply immersed in other aspects of Plath's recovery. The other thing I was mistaken about will be discussed in a separate blog post. I suppose I need to state from the outset that I am drawing conclusions from Plath's actual experiences from what she wrote in The Bell Jar and vice versa, taking information from the novel that is presently unconfirmed or murky and applying it to Plath's biography. There is enough in The Bell Jar , I think, based on real life to make these decisions. At the same time, I like to think that I know enough to distinguish where things are authentic and where details were clearly made up, slightly fudged, or out of chronological order. McLean Hospital was Plath's third and last